Senior Summer 2012

The newest derivative chosen is much better than my second choice.  The synthesis is pretty good, meaning it does not take up too much time and the reagents are not undesirable.  I began to purify it when a fellow chemistry student noticed my purification procedure on this occasion was not so great. She helped me improve my technique and even helped me while I conducted the purification.  I had a great time this summer.  Thank you to all who made it possible.  Prof. Harbron, fellow lab-mates, the Charles Center and Ms. Libby Costas from the Cummings organization.  Who could forget the awesome W&M Chemistry Dept.

Square One

Thanks to research I conducted for a chemistry major class, I selected a second derivative from the few I had compiled earlier.  This derivative was not so miraculous.  The synthesis was less than stellar but with help I was able to make it using another procedure.  Then, I moved on to purification which was not as good.  Surely all the reasons why I decided this derivative my second pick became even more so apparent.  In order to find more alternatives, I researched new derivatives.

Nanoparticles

Over the next week or so, I worked on mastering the nanoparticle procedure.  I realized after a few batches that once the procedure was begun it was best not to stop.  I am still a slow worker in the lab despite working in the Harbron lab for both my sophomore and junior years.  In time, I was able to make them successfully.  After each batch though, I would need to test them for their responsiveness to the particular metal.  Unfortunately, my miracle dye was not participating.  I needed to find a new derivative.

Working on it…

While the miracle derivative sat in a small space inside my hood, behind the metal bars, I moved on to something that I had always been curious about since I started working in the Harbron lab.  On the mercury sensor project, I performed only  synthesis and purification and another person conducted the nanoparticle construction and analysis.  This summer I would make nano-particles. The procedure was four pages long and I will admit I was certainly intimidated.  It required intense cleanliness.  But practice, practice.

[Read more...]

Senior Summer 2012

Unlike last summer, I did not spend a lot of time working on the synthesis of my particular derivative.  I instead due to my research done in a previous class had found a derivative that was quite impressive.  The synthesis was not bad and neither was the purification.  Its responsiveness to the metal I chose was also very good and above all else, it did not revert to a blood pink solution upon the least amount of contact with heat.  All looked well.

[Read more...]