It’s a wrap!

Hello fellow researchers and creators,

This will most likely be my last post, and it is with great regret that I see the summer end. However, my time has been tremendously productive and without the Charles Center grant, I would not have been able to dedicate as much time as I did on the preparation of my documentary. Things are going to go really fast from now on. I booked the plane tickets for Mexico yesterday and we will be landing in Morelia on January 3rd and we will leave on the 15th. The production plan as of today is to visit three different colonies (El Rosario, Sierra Chincua and Cerro Pelon) and spend as much time as possible with the locals of the area. Ryan is taking care of booking and renting the equipment he needs, and I am working on my upcoming interviews. We are still struggling with numbers, but I believe my Honors Thesis Grant might help in solving that aspect. I must say this is quite a nerve racking period for me, as these first few interviews will decide of the future and look of the overall film. This upcoming will mark the beginning of the production stage; goodbye pre-production! How exciting.

[Read more…]

penultimate line insertion

In this post, I will describe the penultimate line insertion method derived from a paper by S.M. Fallat, C.R. Johnson and Ronald L. Smith. This step is important because it will eventually help us show that a partial TP matrix with a border pattern is TP completable.

[Read more…]

Week 4 Synopsis at Lahav

In the last week and a half, we finished up work in both areas as well as opening up another area to the bottom of the site. As always, as we got deeper and deeper, the finds just kept getting better. In a back room of the house, I found another destruction area with a large oil lamp, some weaving materials, and one almost intact juglet. Below are the final photos of the site, used in the final report. We spent an entire morning sweeping and cleaning up before being able to take the pictures with a drone. Even after taking the final photos, we kept working in one area with a large saturation of loom weights. Eventually, it was apparent that the loom weights were in a line and that a loom could possibly have been standing there at the time of destruction.

[Read more…]

Week 3 Synopsis at Lahav

Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 7.39.28 PM

[Read more…]

Week 2 Synopsis at Lahav

This week, we found a plaster floor surface. From the top, it looked like just another layer of rocks to dig through, but from the side, one supervisor noticed a thin white line running across the layers. It was honestly one of the coolest things ever. Once we dug down to the line, there was the nice white plaster surface. Only a few minutes later and our eyes were opened to the other thin white lines running through all the cross sections—barely discernible.

[Read more…]