My summer in a nutshell

I have to say. This summer research experience was a wonderful and fruitful experience. This research experience I had last summer was just as fruitful yet drastically different from this summer’s research experience. Last summer, I had the opportunity to work in a computational linguistics lab, which gave me experience with computer programming and running participants. Moving from a linguistics lab to a biochemistry lab was exciting yet frightening at first. The first two weeks of training in the biochemistry lab was intense but I actually fell in love with the type of work we were doing. We learned basic procedures (DNA plasmid preparation, tissue culture, cell fixation, fluorescence microscopy, etc.) that we would be using on a regular basis for our independent projects and in the lab as a whole.

[Read more…]

Update from week 7/22/19

After a busy week of training, I was able to redirect my focus to my independent project. This week, I did not start an new experiment. However, I maintained my stock cells to prevent overgrowth and cell death. I also performed data collection on my Trial 3 of the no treatment/chloroquine experiment. Data collection is long and tedious process but it is necessary. Once the data is collected, I am able to create figures such as representative images and summarizing graphs. During data collection, I noticed that a few of the slides I made did not have cells on them. This happens from time to time. Even when you follow the procedure correctly, these mishaps happen. This means that I have to do another trial.

Update from week 7/15/19

This week was slower in the lab. Everyone in the lab had the opportunity to meet two PLUS-S students. These students are incoming freshmen that are interested in the sciences and we should them what research is like at the College of William and Mary. I trained one of the students in cell fixation and she did a wonderful job! The PLUS-S student mounted the microscope slides with ease! She was a natural! I hope she considers doing STEM research in the coming years. Any lab would be happy to have her.

[Read more…]

Update from week 7/8/19

I performed the third trial for the no treatment/ chloroquine experiment. I repeat the same procedures from the previous trials. I perform cell culture, transfection, drug addition, cell fixation, and fluorescence microscopy. I have yet to perform data collection on the trial 3 microscope slides, so I will do this week 7/15/19.

Update for week 7/1/19

The week of 7/1/19, I performed data collection or cell scoring on my Trial 1 of the no treatment/chloroquine experiment. I had to count 100 cells in multiple areas on the slides to see how many of the 100 cells had stress granules and did not have stress granules. I also cultured my cells to make sure that they would still be viable when I entered the lab the following week.