Week 7: quiet lab

This week Dr. Puzey and two students went to Botany 2019 in Tucson, Arizona.  Caroline (our grad student), and Cici both presented some of their work on mimulus petal spot formation.  This left only Lizzie and I to hold down the fort in lab.  Because we both sometimes use other spaces in the ISC at times, we each had some very quiet days alone in the lab.  This week I continued to work on analyzing my data using R.  I focused on creating maps of the data.  I started with a basic map of the lower 48 states.  Then, I added points to mark each location that we had latitude and longitude data from our plant specimens.  Unfortunately, we only had this data for a minority of the specimens so my map ended up looking a little sparse.  Once the rest of the data collection is finished, we may go back through the specimens and georeference them to the county level.  I color coded the data so that syriaca points and exaltata points were different colors.  This doesn’t tell us very much so far, but with more data we may find patterns.

[Read more…]

A Circular Sea Ice Puzzle (WEEK 6)

As I mentioned two blog posts ago, I suspect that less surrounding sea ice concentration correlates with higher rates of rift propagation. To determine sea ice concentration (SIC), I downloaded a bunch of data sets that give SIC values (between 0 and 1) in areas of 50,000-by-50,000 meters, and I extracted the values from right around the Amery Ice Shelf. However, clipping the SICs proved to be much harder than clipping the ocean temperatures.

[Read more…]

Week 5: gradual progress

Research has been moving slowly as I get up to speed in R programming.  I feel very slow sometimes when it takes me a half hour of googling and reading Stack Overflow to figure a simple problem.  I’m grateful to my labmates, many of whom can code, for their advice.  For example, I would never have figured out that my code wouldn’t run because R wasn’t reading reading my data as numbers.  I would never have guessed that it was even an option for R to read what I thought were numbers as non numeric characters.

[Read more…]

Overall Research Experience Summer 2019

My research was fixed on the increasing rate of maternal mortality, specifically among incarcerated women and black or African American women. Additional topics of this study might include the mortality rate of children birthed by incarcerated women, the location these women are from and where their prison is located, increasing mortality rate of incarcerated women of color, as well as subsidiary factors that affect the health of imprisoned women. Previously recorded/public access data was analyzed for causation variables of this high mortality rate and will be presented with information collected by analyzing the most recent literary sources regarding this topic.

[Read more…]

Final Week Research Summary

During my final week of research, I aggregated the data sets into one master document. This way the three control variables and two main variables (maternal mortality and female prisoner population) are in one common place for analysis. I, also, contacted my previous data science professor about geo-mapping the data tables and plan on meeting with him before moving out. Once I meet with him, I should be able to layer the data tables over a map of the United States once I download a geo-spatial package, the corresponding dictionary, and others like it.

[Read more…]