Coming to Terms with the Process

Hello! I hope you all had a wonderful last few weeks. I have been very busy in the lab lately and am eager to tell you all about that.

[Read more…]

Stress and Depression Matter: Analysis of Preliminary Results

Now that my file of data from our United States schools is complete, I’ve started preliminary data analyses and things are looking good! Regression analysis showed that both mentor depression and mentor early life stress statistically significantly impacted the mentoring relationship.

[Read more…]

The Anticipation Builds: Preparing Data for Analysis

Hey y’all!

I’m so excited to send out my first research update! During my time in the lab thus far, I have been conducting an in-depth literature review of mentoring studies. The bulk of the literature focuses on youth characteristics that influence the mentoring relationship. These characteristics include youth environmental stress and behavioral challenges. I have only found one study that touches on mentor emotional background so I hope that I will be able to meaningfully contribute to the mentoring literature at the conclusion of my research! I will analyze mentor stress using two scales: The Risky Families Questionnaire, which measures early life and familial stress, and the Student Stress Scale, which measures previous or ongoing stress in multiple aspects of life. Combined, these two scales will allow me to not only measure mentor stress, but also will allow me to better understand the effects of different types of stressors on mentoring relationships. I will measure mentor depression using the CESDR-10 scale, and I will run analyses analyzing the relationship between mentor’s reported depression and stress levels.

[Read more…]

Seven days, Population eight, and Nine Ball

In the lab this week, I continued to transfer beads for my first cycle of evolution this summer. I was really impressed with myself because I managed to go the entire week without dropping a bead. It can be so difficult at times to get the beads out of the glass tubes, to wash them, and then put in the microcentrifuge tubes without dropping one or messing up at a single step. I am typically holding my breath the entire time because I am so anxious about it. This is such a huge accomplish for me and am glad that I have the opportunity to document this eternally. Other than my project, this week I helped out Dr. Murphy with some of her ongoing projects. I learned how to streak and made YPD glycerol plates.

[Read more…]

Protein Immobilization Research Weeks 1-2

Within the first two weeks of working in the research lab, I think I’ve finally begun to understand the meaning of the phrase “learning curve.” Even though I had been coming in a few hours each week the past two semesters, being in the lab from 9-5 working on your own project is a much different experience. It involves more independence, self-reliance, and willingness to troubleshoot. Vastly different from the teaching labs, the experiments I’ve undertaken rely much more on my own competence, adding both pressure and excitement to the research experience. I am incredibly appreciative of both Dr. Young and the senior members in the lab for their patience in answering all my questions. Ironically, the farther along I get in my research, the more I realize there is to discover. Everyday I learn something new, and come home exhausted from throwing my entire mental energy into the day.

[Read more…]