Final Summary: GED Programming in Correctional Facilities

Final Summary: GED Programming in Correctional Facilities

[Read more…]

End of Summer Research: Findings on Marriage and Proposals in Victorian Novels

We are the end, folks. Or, well, the end of the summer at least. For me I will still be sending the next eight months on this project. And I am so happy I got a head start in the last three months.

[Read more…]

Summary of Summer Research

Although I do not start my honors thesis until next academic year, I needed to do research in order to gauge the subject I intended to pursue. This summer, I was able to not able to survey the wealth of resources available, but I was also able to reevaluate my initial expectations for the thesis to meet standards that are more realistic. My initial goal was to evaluate the role, if any, of social class in the Royal Flying Corps. Though summer closures and movement of materials prevented me from looking at a bulk of the sources I originally wanted to look at, I was able to compensate by finding more relevant sources in England. I hope that I will be able to return to England to gather more sources.

[Read more…]

Characterizing the Drosophila Germline Stem Cell Niche: Future Directions

It’s been about 3 weeks since leaving campus and pausing my research project for now. Reflecting back on my summer of research, I am happy with the progress that’s been made. I helped develop a new process for imaging gonads in vivo using phytagel, found a type of FBS that supports gonad differentiation ex vivo, and optimized the tracking procedure for specific cell types within the gonad using Fiji Track-mate software. There were also come set-backs this summer. It was discovered that the flies used for imaging were contaminated. It was very important that we realized this though so that we can expand a clean line of flies for use in future experiments.

[Read more…]

Final Summary: Modeling Milkweed Population Dynamics

Since┬áthe summer research session is coming to an end and the first major phase to my project is almost “finished”, this seems like a good time to write my final post, wrapping up what I’ve been doing all summer, what has come from my work, and how this will transition into the next phases of the project. Just as a friendly reminder, this project is focussed on community ecology and population dynamics of the Common Milkweed, with the specific goal of modeling the size and demographic behavior of the population as a function of factors like herbivory and leaf chemistry. We use field-collected data and computational/statistical models in the R programming language to determine these relationships, that could inform management policies and conservation strategies.

[Read more…]