Protein Immobilization Research Final Update

As the last week of research approaches, it is rewarding to look back and see all that I have learned. The last two weeks have been extremely productive: I’ve successfully cloned SSO into another plasmid and expressed both the wild type and a mutant version. Furthermore, I’ve been able to run reactions showing the sustained activity of the mutated protein, and thus its potential in biosensors. My aim now is to express at least one more active mutant, and immobilize the mutants in different conditions. If research continues to progress the way it has, we will hopefully have enough for a paper in the fall.

[Read more…]

Analysis of Milkweed Genotyping

With just a few individuals left to send off as redos, most of the focus on the milkweed project has moved towards analysis. Analysis is inherently tricky because there is a lot of trial and error. There are essentially a few options for analysis. You can use someone else’s software, you can modify someone else’s to fit your needs, OR you can make your own. The last one is obviously extremely time intensive, so our hope was to find a software we could use to fit our needs.

[Read more…]

July Update

For these past two weeks, I have been working to parse times of blinking traces in dyes R560 and RB. Blinking traces show intensity vs. time, following fluctuations in emissive intensities, and gives information regarding electron transfer kinetics. The purpose of parsing these traces is to separate early and late sections of the trace, and analyzing the statistical difference between the two. For R560, the dye’s structure does not change with excitation from the laser, so the blinking traces which show no difference when looking at the early versus the late components of the whole blinking trace. However, for RB, the dye undergoes dealkylation with excitation into R560, so the early and late components should demonstrate statistical difference.

[Read more…]

Going with the flow: a new and improved milkweed project, finally getting results

If there’s one thing that I’ve learned from my three years of research, it’s that its super important to go with the flow. Since my last update my milkweed project has taken on an entirely new shape. After discovering that glyphosate herbicides do not act as a proxy for connectedness, I decided to use a different approach and expand on my project from last summer.

[Read more…]

Raillery & Revolution in the Bibliotheque de Campagne, ou Amusemens de l’Esprit et du Coeur

Raillery & Revolution in the Bibliothèque de Campagne, ou Amusemens de l’Esprit et du Coeur

[Read more…]