Terrapin Study: A Summary

Alas, our journey together has come to an end. It seems like a daunting task to draw a summary of such an enlightening and fun summer, but here we are. Just to lay out the setting of our summary…

[Read more…]

Going Turtling! Weeks 8 & 9: Wrapping up & Exciting Discoveries!

Weeks 8 & 9 were fairly uneventful by capture standards, save for one interesting discovery. In week 8 we captured 10 turtles in total, with the sex ratio being 7 males to 3 females. On week 9, we captured 3 turtles total, with the sex ratio being 2 females and 1 male. Overall, it was a good way to end the field work portion of the project.

[Read more…]

Going Turtling! : Week 1 and Project Rundown

Week 1 of the turtle project was a fairly slow start. We caught 3 turtles overall, 3 beautiful males. All around 13 cm length of carapace. In terms of by-catch we caught several crabs, 2 silver perch, and a rather large flounder! It was an exciting start to the project, both my partner and I always love to interact with the animals, even if they aren’t the animals we are looking for!

[Read more…]

Final Post: Summary for summer research experience

This summer, my research focused on two major parts: 1) chemical characterization of urban organic aerosols; 2) chemical analysis on composition of biomass burning aerosols.

[Read more…]

A Sad Introduction to the Terrapin Project

After many weeks of fieldwork, it is time to tell the long story of the research that has been done. While the entirety of the research itself has been overwhelmingly positive, The first day of surveying the work site was cast in a grim light upon a depressing finding. My research partner and I, along with our lab professor and his assistant, paddled out to the Catlett Islands to evaluate where the best spots for pots would be. It was a windy, sunny day, and our spirits were light as we made our way out of Cedar Bush Creek to look for both suitable sites and Terrapins. When entering one of the many small bays of the Islands, we found several old crab pot buoys, with rusted metal rings attached. Luckily enough, nothing was caught in the first few, but the last one we pulled up was a new crab pot and had yet to deteriorate to the level of the others. Sadly, when we pulled it out of the water, it was filled with Diamond-backed Terrapins.

[Read more…]