A Sad Introduction to the Terrapin Project

After many weeks of fieldwork, it is time to tell the long story of the research that has been done. While the entirety of the research itself has been overwhelmingly positive, The first day of surveying the work site was cast in a grim light upon a depressing finding. My research partner and I, along with our lab professor and his assistant, paddled out to the Catlett Islands to evaluate where the best spots for pots would be. It was a windy, sunny day, and our spirits were light as we made our way out of Cedar Bush Creek to look for both suitable sites and Terrapins. When entering one of the many small bays of the Islands, we found several old crab pot buoys, with rusted metal rings attached. Luckily enough, nothing was caught in the first few, but the last one we pulled up was a new crab pot and had yet to deteriorate to the level of the others. Sadly, when we pulled it out of the water, it was filled with Diamond-backed Terrapins.

[Read more…]

Week 5 Update

This week I’ve been wrapping up my secondary research. The largest challenge I face when formulating my final essay will be providing a concise yet comprehensive history of blackface in America. The history of minstrelsy in America is complex, and it is important that I examine every facet of minstrelsy’s past and legacy in order to provide proper context for my primary evidence. From the sources I’ve examined, I’ve seen how different factions of society produced and consumed minstrelsy with diverse goals and intentions. The authors of these sources also examine the legacies created by minstrelsy and how different groups over time have interpreted the practice.

[Read more…]

Week #8 Report

This week a lot of sample and data analysis is happening on ambient urban aerosols. The following pictures shows some data we found interesting and hopefully you would find them intriguing as well.

[Read more…]

Week 7 at the National Assembly for Wales

It’s my last week at my internship! I feel like I blinked and it’s over, I really don’t know how this happened. This week has just been all about wrapping up loose ends. I finally finished my research on homelessness and I’m incredibly excited for the end result; now that I’ve finished the preliminary work, the homelessness white paper can begin to be assembled. The work I’ve done and the eventual paper gives me the chance to say I’m published, at least in terms of doing most of the research for an important government publication, which is so exciting! It’s amazing that I get the experience of having done the work for a paper that will lead to some incredibly interesting and ground-breaking policy being implemented and I’m very proud of what I was able to accomplish with that.

[Read more…]

Week 6 at the National Assembly for Wales

This week was off to a start with me working on a brief for my AM to ask a follow-up question during Plenary. The question was asking for a progress report on the Arbed scheme in Wales, a program designed to retrofit houses with energy-saving measures. The scheme provides new boilers, wall cladding and smart meters, amongst other things, to low-income families so they can decrease their energy bills and move out of fuel property. This week I also spent some time drafting questions for two separate days of Plenary. I created a list of questions to ask the environment minister, ranging from things like asking about the progress of national tree-building programs to asking about if the government had considered carbon recycling programs to meet its emissions goals. I also came up with a list of more general questions for the First Minister, asking about updates on Welsh-language learning initiatives and carbon-neutral home building programs.

[Read more…]