Dog Days of Summer Research

Hello all!

I don’t have much to report in the realm of science research. It’s pretty been more of the same. My original transformations haven’t worked, so I spent about a week or so troubleshooting. I made new CloNat plates, grew up a whole new culture from the original colony strain, and boiled some fresh Carrier DNA. I did my last attempt at this transformation on Friday and am about to plate it as we speak. If it’s successful, I can continue with gene knock-outs on this particular gene. I can then also begin to transform other genes from this strain. I’ve begun work on that part and sent those genes off to be sequenced. Hopefully in the next day or so I will get those sequences back to begin analysis.

[Read more…]

A Summer Transformation: the SAC3 gene in S. cerevisiae

Hello, all! The past few weeks have been a bit more promising in the lab. I’ve begun preparations for my gene knock-out, which I will be performing on a previously sequenced gene, SAC3. I worked with this gene in the Spring semester. In order to prepare for my knock-out, I first had to transform the yeast to be able to take in this gene from the environment. Basically, I put the yeast under stress, which then allows for them to take up DNA from the environment.

[Read more…]