The Finale: Contamination galore!

Hello all,

This is my last post of the summer! I have really enjoyed my summer research experience here. Recently, I have had a bit of a hard time with my work. Most of my transformations are contaminated. I am not quite sure what has contaminated them–but it smells funky!

[Read more…]

Coming to Terms with the Process

Hello! I hope you all had a wonderful last few weeks. I have been very busy in the lab lately and am eager to tell you all about that.

[Read more…]

Dog Days of Summer Research

Hello all!

I don’t have much to report in the realm of science research. It’s pretty been more of the same. My original transformations haven’t worked, so I spent about a week or so troubleshooting. I made new CloNat plates, grew up a whole new culture from the original colony strain, and boiled some fresh Carrier DNA. I did my last attempt at this transformation on Friday and am about to plate it as we speak. If it’s successful, I can continue with gene knock-outs on this particular gene. I can then also begin to transform other genes from this strain. I’ve begun work on that part and sent those genes off to be sequenced. Hopefully in the next day or so I will get those sequences back to begin analysis.

[Read more…]

A Summer Transformation: the SAC3 gene in S. cerevisiae

Hello, all! The past few weeks have been a bit more promising in the lab. I’ve begun preparations for my gene knock-out, which I will be performing on a previously sequenced gene, SAC3. I worked with this gene in the Spring semester. In order to prepare for my knock-out, I first had to transform the yeast to be able to take in this gene from the environment. Basically, I put the yeast under stress, which then allows for them to take up DNA from the environment.

[Read more…]

Seven days, Population eight, and Nine Ball

In the lab this week, I continued to transfer beads for my first cycle of evolution this summer. I was really impressed with myself because I managed to go the entire week without dropping a bead. It can be so difficult at times to get the beads out of the glass tubes, to wash them, and then put in the microcentrifuge tubes without dropping one or messing up at a single step. I am typically holding my breath the entire time because I am so anxious about it. This is such a huge accomplish for me and am glad that I have the opportunity to document this eternally. Other than my project, this week I helped out Dr. Murphy with some of her ongoing projects. I learned how to streak and made YPD glycerol plates.

[Read more…]