The Roy R. Charles Center for Academic Excellence offers a number of funding opportunities to support William and Mary undergraduate research during the summer. This funding is open to research in all disciplines and can take place on campus, off-campus, or abroad. Most awards are for $3,000 to support seven full-time weeks of research.
To be eligible, applicants must be continuing William and Mary students in good academic standing. Applications are due in early March each year and are submitted through the Charles Center’s online application system.
Recipients of Charles Center Summer Research funding will blog about their research at least five times during the summer and present their work at the Charles Center’s annual Summer Research Showcase held each fall.
The following sources fund these awards:
- Biomathematics Summer Scholarships
- Chappell Fellowships
- Charles Center Summer Research Award (funded by Frank Batten, W. Edward Bright ’78, the estate of Helen Y. Cohen, Gale and Steve Kohlhagen ’69, Suzanne Louis ’71, the estate of Dewey Renick, Richard ’52 and Nancy Sayford, W&M Class of 1943, W&M Class of 1968, and the W&M Parents’ Association)
- The Christian-Ewell Scholarship
- The Christopher Wren Association Scholarship
- Cummings Memorial Summer Scholarships for Research in the Sciences and Mathematics
- Harriet Mayor Fulbright Summer Fellowship in Peace Studies
- The Jacobs Scholarship
- The James Reilly Undergraduate Summer Scholarship
- Lemon Project Summer Research Grant
- Sharpe and Community Studies Research Grant
- WMSURE Summer Grant