Final Post

This will be my last post on the blog. Before getting into my specific research, I’d just like to say that having this opportunity to experience the process of scientific research and gaining exposure to so many new aspects of life in science after college was priceless. The relationships I developed and conversations that I had this summer were as valuable as the actual work that I was doing. I met so many wonderful PhD students and professors who had so much advice  to share and offer. Going into this summer, I had no idea what to expect. The only real lab experience I had was in required pre-med labs, which aren’t “research” based. I was most surprised at how long it takes to make progress. I didn’t realize how many failures there are before one single success. However, when you finally achieve that success it feels amazing and it drives you forward back into the muck of uncertainty. The hardest part is that you put so much effort and time into something that might not even work, but that is just part of the process. One specific conversation that really intrigued me was at Cold Spring Harbor when we all gathered in a circle and talked about ethics and situations that the PhD students were facing. Getting a sense of what the atmosphere is like was helpful. I’m pretty confident that I will not be applying to PhD programs after college; however, I would’t say that it is out of the question someday down the road. Right now, I’m focusing on medical school, but after that there are many options to consider and I’m glad that there are so many options to choose from.

For now, I’m excited to get back into lab. I’m taking a class called Computational Neuroscience with about 5 other students. It will be an extension of what I learned at Cold Spring Harbor and in the Cellular Biophysics and Modeling Class I took last semester. It feels like a senior seminar, which is unique for Neuroscience. I’m hoping it will help me with my research project. I’m also looking forward to working with a PhD student on my project, developing my first functional model, and becoming a published author before I graduate. It will also be fun to incorporate my interest in modeling in my Epidemiology class. Maybe I’ll end up looking into graduate school for public health again.

Who knows where this experience will take me, but I’m excited for the journey. Thank you Greg, CSUMS and the Biomath Initiative for all of your support.

1. Meredith Dost says:

Sarah, I’m glad that your research this summer has helped you determine which of your near-future goals you want to pursue. I felt the same way with my research this summer; actually being out there and experiencing things in the real world are great life-clarifiers. There are always so many paths to take, and it’s great to have a strong sense of direction. Good luck with deciding what type of schooling you want to do after W&M! I look forward to your decisions!