Woody Internship at the Getty: Week 7

Hello!

This week was pretty light in terms of events at the museum itself, but it made up for that in events outside the museum. Allow me to explain:

I only worked on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of last week. Monday the main event was an external program for a financial group; the coordinator and I ended up not having to do all that much because the group essentially provided its own event planner. So aside from checking the setup and making sure everything went smoothly, we were more or less off the hook in terms of actually executing the event.

Tuesday was Museum Game Zone, and on Wednesday, my coworker Leti and I took a field trip to the Villa to attend a production meeting for Outdoor Classical Theatre, a program that the Villa hosts every September/October. The Villa is actually home to a full-scale, ancient Greek-style amphitheater, so every year they invite a local theater group to put on a production of a classic (i.e., ancient) play. This year, the chosen group is putting on a version of Medea,  but it’s set in modern East Los Angeles (a majority Hispanic community). From what I heard and saw at the meeting, it should be a really interesting and thought-provoking production! Unfortunately, I will already be gone by the time it premieres.

Those were the only major happenings at the Getty itself last week, but over the weekend I had the opportunity to attend some really exciting events outside the museum. On Friday, I ventured about an hour (well, two hours with traffic) south to Long Beach and the Museum of Latin American Art. There, I met with their curator of education to get an idea of her background, and then was able to attend the opening for their new exhibit Miradas: Ancient Roots in Modern and Contemporary Mexican Art. This was a great chance to not only see how a different museum executes an event, but also to enjoy their amazing collection of contemporary Latin American art and see how they incorporate education into the visitor experience. MoLAA takes a much more hands-on approach to education than the Getty; for example, visitors can learn more about Surrealist art by drawing scenes from their own dreams, or even choose an image from the collection that best represents their life and wear it on a string around their neck. I had never seen anything like this – allowing visitors to truly get “up close and personal” (emphasis on personal) with the museum’s collection.

On Saturday, another Getty intern and I trekked into downtown LA in order to attend the opening of the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising Museum’s exhibit about Emmy nominated/winning television costumes. Let me just start by saying…this was SO. COOL. First of all, the event itself was very fancy and had lots of delicious food and drinks, which is always a plus. But the exhibit really was the highlight. We got to see dozens of absolutely gorgeous, original costumes from shows ranging from Marvel’s Agent Carter to The Mindy Project to Wolf Hall to Peter Pan Live, and every one of them was so incredible to see in person. It’s easy to forget how much work goes into the technical aspects of TV shows, but after seeing this exhibit I’ll definitely never overlook those costumes again.

Costumes from Agent Carter at the FIDM Museum.

My fellow intern and I then drove across town again to a gallery opening, where one of her art professors was showing a new video installation. There were three artists showing at the gallery that night: Kaz Oshiro, Victoria Fu (my friend’s professor), and the late Kenneth Noland. Noland was the only one whose work I had ever heard of, but that’s unsurprising considering my general dearth of knowledge when it comes to contemporary art. It was certainly a major departure both from the elaborate costumes we’d just seen, as well as from the old-school, western European collection we house at the Getty. While I will probably never appreciate contemporary art as much as, say, 18th century British portraiture or Italian Baroque sculpture, I do firmly believe that it’s important to go outside of my comfort zone and really try to learn and appreciate what living artists are doing today. After all, one day they’ll be the ones filling up those art history textbooks!

So there you have it…another week in the life of a Getty intern. The next few days are going to be pretty crazy, what with a culinary workshop at the Villa on Thursday, plus back-to-back installments of Friday Flights and Saturdays off the 405. These kinds of events are my favorite, though, so I’m looking forward to updating everyone next week! Thanks for reading!