Conclusion and the Next Step

We were able to make sense of much of the data from this experiment. As a result, Professor Lunden and I decided it would be an excellent opportunity to summit an abstract to present a poster on this project at next Linguistic Society of America conference. Although we want to have a much bigger sample set, we were able to look at these preliminary results to see what the results are likely to be. We summited an abstract in hopes that our research will be accepted and we will be able to present a poster.

To conclude, I found that the [tʃ] series follows the same pattern that Kim et al (2002) found. If the stimuli contains any lenis part, the word is identified based on the vowel portion. Otherwise, the stimuli is based on the consonant portion. However, the  lenis [s] does not follow this pattern. Instead, it patterns as the other aspirated consonants do, giving evidence that it is better characterized as aspirated than as lenis.

In preparation for the poster, this research will continue into the next semester. I will find more participants so that my sample size will be larger. I will also continue to read literature on this subject. Particularly interesting is literature regarding the recent changes Korean has undergone. There have been studies that show that the younger generation of Korean speakers produces some consonant contrasts differently than the older generation. This research may provide clues as to why the [t] series did not match Kim et al (2002) data as well as aspected, since their data was gathered from participants who belong to this older generation. This project may even provide data on how the younger generation of speakers perceives consonants differently from the older generation.