textures of Seoul; five weeks in retrospect

I have a terrible habit of abandoning any pursuit that does not come naturally to me, and such has been the case with Korean. But, halfway through my stay here, I’ve resolved to give it a more earnest attempt as with all things, the threat of having something taken away makes it immediately more precious.

[Read more…]

Weeks 8 & 9

These weeks were spent doing a variety of evolution and growth curve experiments with the bacteria on a minimal media (M9) with ethanol. My first growth curve was successful, as I was able to show that the absorbance readings, a measure of the number of bacterial colonies, went up steadily each half hour throughout the 12 hour period during which I took readings. After seeing the growth curve work with small amounts of LBS present, I took on the next step, which was introducing the bacteria to M9 media without the presence of LBS. I used a new technique for this which involved washing the cells that removed any LBS media left in the culture, and tried to grow the bacteria on the M9 this way, but this led to the bacteria being unable to grow on M9 at all. After meeting with my professor about this, he discussed several reasons why this might occur, namely that the centrifugation required for the washing process was too severe for the bacteria, particularly since their membranes were being agitated and they were then being placed into a media containing ethanol, which contributes further to the destruction of their membrane. Another option might be that the bacteria need to be evolved to withstand a minimal media with ethanol in it first, so the extra LBS in the media might have been facilitating this evolution. To figure out which of the two options was more likely, I inoculated strains in M9 minimal media straight off the plate and tried to perform growth curve experiments with the strains using the minimal media starter cultures as well as the LBS cultures that were washed. Though nothing grew in either condition, my PI advised me to try evolving them over longer periods of time (re-culturing either every 12 hours or every day) to see whether the bacteria would grow when re-cultured. If they do, this will provide a more straightforward approach to use to evolve the bacteria to ethanol. If they do not, I will need to continue introducing them into the M9 starting with LBS, evolving them to survive and be culturable in M9 media.

7th Week of Research

Hi Readers,

During my 7th week of research, I began working with a mutant strain of C. elegans that does not express the anaphase promoting complex. The APC mutant emb-27 will arrest cells in metaphase I of meiosis, but other cellular processes will continue to occur after anaphase I should be occurring; for example, the residual body still forms when spermatids should be budding from the residual body. This mutant will allow us to continue to characterize SUMO’s role throughout the meiotic division zone, even when the chromatin is not moving through the sequential cellular divisions. I have had some hiccups with the permeabilization step required to allow the SUMO antibody access to SUMO, which is within the cells of the gonad. I will try varying amounts of permeabilization in my next prep to determine the sufficient amount to allow visualization of SUMO.

[Read more…]