Update #4: 6/17-6/24

This week, after waiting for people to respond to my pilot Qualtrics survey, I managed to collect around 30 responses. Then, I uploaded everything into SPSS and analyzed the data. From there, I was able to determine if the variables I chose were receiving the correct responses.

Update #3: 6/10-6/17

During week three, I sent out the pilot Qualtrics survey. I waited for an adequate amount of responses in order to examine the results. The tricky part, however, was getting people to respond. I sent the survey to a plethora of GroupMe chats. I also advertised it on my social media accounts. So, the majority of week three was spent waiting for people to respond to my pilot Qualtrics survey.

Update #2: 6/3-6/10

Things for my experiment design were beginning to rapidly progress as I continued to meet with my professor each day. I created a Qualtrics survey to which I added all of the scales and tasks that would assess my participants’ implicit and explicit biases to what I am researching. I also designed a pilot Qualtrics survey in which I would send out before the actual survey. The purpose of the pilot survey was to ensure that people responded to each variable the way that I intended them to.

Antarctic Temperature Approximating (WEEK 7)

As was discussed in the week 4 blog post, I suspect that warmer temperatures from the surface (lower portions of the atmosphere) directly above the Amery Ice Shelf contribute to weaker ice, and thus quicker rates of rift propagation. Luckily, unlike with the ocean temperature and sea ice concentration data, I did not have to download massive NetCDF files and extract data from them using Matlab code. I will discuss the approach I used below.

[Read more…]

Update 1: 5/27-6/3

During the first week of my research in Professor Forestell’s Eating Behavior Lab, I attended a lab meeting and met everyone who was conducting research this summer. We all introduced ourselves and explained what we would be working on over the course of the summer.

[Read more…]